The New Palace Project Shout Out Chat Room

10/04/2009

Debate plus criticsm...and my response...

Jeff says this....

I would love to say the best wrestler of all time is Bret Hart. He is my favorite, at least as a character. But really, the best wrestler is either Hulk Hogan or The Rock. Its not about the moves; its about the package. The Rock could put on a decent move, but he could "sell" with the best of them. He could really electrify -- sorry for the pun -- a crowd. Even if he came to a show to just do an interview, people watched.

Hulk Hogan was like that in the 80s and even the nwo era in the 90s. The 80's he was pretty simple-- good guy, gets beat up, comes back, wins. People loved it. In the 90s, he was more sophisticated (because of the depth of the storylines). when people cheered him in Toronto vs The Rock, it was a true appreciation.

I'd put it as a tie with those 2. They put our favorite pasttime on the map, and it kept it there. Hogan went off the deep-end the last few years; The Rock left on a high note, and I have no complaints with that. I remember flying to Orlando to see wrestlemania, on JetBlue. I got to see the Hall of Fame on the plane, and it really was kid-like to see The Rock come out after a few years of silence (only a few appearances, mostly taped). He's making millions of dollars in movies, who can complain about that. But for 6 or 7 solid years, he entertained "The People." He was a good face for wrestling. A college graduate, an athlete. He once opened the Republican National Convention. As an entire package, he really is The Great One.

Now onto you. Stop being so negative! I like your columns, but you are very hard on everything! You ranted on a match being put on a PPV! You knock these guys down before they have a chance. And is R-Killings second guessing his move to the wwe? He could mutually end his contract, wait out his no-compete clause, and go back to TNA if he was that miserable. But chances are he his going to get his opportunity. Goldberg is a great example of someone who was great in one promotion but stale in another. TNA is a different environment than the wwe. They want to out-wwe the wwe, which is quite silly if you ask me, but that's besides the point.

You should look at some positives sometimes. Did you realize the wwe sold out a bunch of shows overseas at a time when the global economy is terrible? Or that Al Sharpton - despite the negative anticipation by everyone -- really didn't do anything controversial? Linda McMahon is running for senate by the way. Sure, Newark is a slow sales city, so isn't my home city of worcester, mass. Not every show is going to sell out.

I think your column is a good one, my favorite read, but the last few weeks you have just been pissing and moaning lol. And then you try to defend yourself by saying if you weren't that successful, you wouldn't have 300 columns or whatever. which is true, but you are still quite a bit negative. Just my opinion.

Jeff


Jeff, my answer is simple, your critique is noted. You are right, on 99% of my recent work. See my live ROH recap as my one example to the contrary.

I am trying to change. I write with a lot of emotion, so when my life goes south, so does my writing.

I am trying to fix this.

Thanks to you, and to all of you who gave to this debate, and wrote in.

No comments: